Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Buju Banton challenges Bob Marley

At his recent album release party for 'Rasta Got Soul', Buju Banton sent out this bold statement to the world. “You know they say that the greatest musician in Jamaica is Bob Marley. I don't believe that because we have greater musicians to come. Bob was the most promoted, and well promoted, and we have to appreciate that because it’s our culture. But don't kill our culture… Enough is enough.”

It seems that I along with the rest of the world disagree with Buju's statement.

Enough is apparently not enough. Everywhere I go people equate reggae music with Bob Marley. He has been dead for over twenty years and still has the top selling reggae album worldwide. His song 'One Love' was declared song of the century by the BBC and Time magazine called 'Exodus' album of the millennium.

Well established. Bob Marley is the king of reggae. As for Buju Banton, well he is a talented artist who produces tons of great music. I love his stuff. Here's one of my favourites 'Destiny'. Check him out on youtube.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really know much about Reggae except for Bob Marley either. I don't think Reggae is very big, but when the music industry combines it with R&B and rap, that makes more people get a little acquainted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my post and leaving a comment. I agree with you fully. Thats why I decided to blog about reggae music. I hope that people who read this blog will enjoy the videos I post and get more aquainted with the music. Seems like we were thinking the same thing at the same time because I just posted something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete