Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Legal 420 anyone?

So I read this really interesting article that basically argued that the federal and state governments could make a whole lot of money if they legalized marijuana. Here is the link......

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/StockInvestingTrading/a-budget-cure-marijuana-taxes.aspx?gt1=33002

Ok so they are only talking about legalizing medical marijuana. The money the government would make would come strictly from taxes collected from businesses that sell the stuff. This got me thinking about what you people thought about marijuana.........

Personally my stance on marijuana is pretty simple. ' Legalize it'!







I'm a 'Ganja baby'. ( Ganja- Jamaican term for marijuana). I basically grew up in a culture that was very open to and accepting of weed. My grandpa was a ganja farmer and I was his little helper. I spent years of my childhood helping to plant, care for, harvesting and preparing the crop for sale.

That being said, I do not smoke pot. Never have and never will. I however think this is a personal choice that everyone is entitled to.

Marijuana is not as dangerous as we are led to believe. Its all about a balance like everything else in life. It is true that pot like so many things out there can be addicting.That however does not give cause to demonize marijuana. Cigarettes and alcohol are just as addicting if not more. I mean alcohol is perfectly legal and great in moderation but we all know how many lives are destroyed by alcohol each day (Vehicular deaths, child abuse and domestic abuse etc....). Why aren't our politicians and law makers fighting the cause for those victims more? I know all the controversy surrounding marijuana but I believe that the most of the negative consequences ( money laundering, guns etc.....) are not an effect of the marijuana itself but of it being illegal. Why not legalize it and tax the hell out of it like they do with cigarettes?

The video is Peter Tosh "legalize it". Peter Tosh is Reggae great. Please check out his music on youtube......

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving the site. Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the postive feeback. Let me know if you want to hear my views on any particular topic out there.....

    ReplyDelete